Many are unaware of the hidden dangers of carbon monoxide because this gas is invisible, odorless and strikes without warning. Tragically, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that more than 400 Americans die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning with an addition 24,000 receiving emergency care from its effects. That being said, it’s crucial to protect your family and home with the necessary precautions. Continue reading to learn more from the experts at Fusion.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
This colorless, odorless gas is emitted as fumes from vehicles and other household appliances. Carbon monoxide gas forms when there’s not enough oxygen in the air. Because it’s tasteless and colorless, high levels of this toxic gas often build slowly over time. Its toxicity is so high that even small quantities can be extremely dangerous.
Where Does It Come From?
You may not know it, but every home has numerous appliances that emit this gas. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases when gas or charcoal-operated appliances are used indoors or in tight, enclosed spaces. Other dangerous appliances include:
- Gas generators
- Camp Stoves
- Gas ranges
Other risks include leaving your car running inside the garage or failing to properly clean the debris from your chimney or wood/pellet stove. Water or furnace heaters may also become potential risks if not serviced regularly.
What are the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Despite the grave danger of this toxic gas, the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning don’t always appear serious. Many report “flu-like” symptoms such as weakness, headaches, dizziness, and vomiting. Severe symptoms also include chest pain and mental confusion.
As the poisoning increases, many victims may pass out and slip into a coma-like state if they don’t receive quick emergency treatment. Children and the elderly are at greatest risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.
How Do I Protect My Home?
There are many vital ways to help keep your home safe from this hidden danger. Some of the most important methods include:
- Using a professionally installed carbon monoxide detector
- Regularly cleaning your chimney and keeping it debris-free
- Servicing all major gas appliances regularly (water heaters, stoves, etc.)
- Keeping gas or charcoal appliances out of your house and out in the open air
- Keeping all your appliances vented properly (stoves, chimneys, and water heaters)
Why Every Home Should Have a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Using a carbon monoxide detector is by far the best way to keep your home safe and well-monitored. This detector is battery-run and also equipped with backup batteries to ensure it’s always running. It works like a smoke detector and sounds an alarm whenever it detects levels of carbon monoxide within your home. It also gives a reading of how much carbon dioxide it has detected. Having a carbon monoxide detector installed could save the life of yourself and your family by providing a critical early-warning system for when to seek help.
Can I Install It Myself?
Because of how important this device is, it is vital to have it carefully installed by a trusted professional. Here at Fusion Electric, we offer professional installation services to keep your home safe. If not properly installed, your carbon monoxide detector runs the risk of being damaged or working poorly.