It’s virtually impossible to imagine your life without electricity. In fact, the majority of the appliances you use on a daily basis have to have electricity to function. When running these appliances, electrical safety is a huge concern. The fact is, quite a bit can go wrong anytime you are using electricity – including electric shock, damage to the appliances and fires. Some electrical safety tips to always keep in mind when using home appliances can be found here.
Unplug Your Small Appliances
It’s important that you always unplug your smaller appliances, such as hair dryers, shavers, toasters, kettles and electric irons when they aren’t being used. All these appliances can cause serious accidents and injuries if you leave them plugged in. If you have pets or children in the home, they may suffer a serious injury. With the amount and type of power used by these appliances, it’s virtually always safer for you to unplug them from the power outlet instead of just switching them off.
Use All Appliances According to the Manufacturer’s Instructions
You should never plug in, use or switch on your appliances when your hands are wet. Electricity and water just don’t mix. Always keep your appliances away from the sink and any other source of water. If you have an appliance that falls into water, don’t try to reach for it unless you are sure it is unplugged from the outlet, not just turned off – completely unplugged. Water will conduct electricity and you may be electrocuted just by touching the water the appliance is in.
Keep Appliance Cords Short
Another way that appliances may injure you is with their cords. If you happen to trip over a cord, you could suffer an injury, or cause the appliance damage. To avoid this, make sure the cords are as short as possible.
Have Damaged Appliances Repaired Right Away
If you have an appliance that malfunctions, that makes odd noises or that heats up more than usual, you need to have the professionals come and repair them as soon as you can. If you use a faulty appliance, you never know when it may blow up in your face. When it comes to electricity, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Never use an appliance that has exposed wires or damaged cords. In the long run, you will save more money and be safer by having repairs done before the issue becomes worse.
If you have any issues with your electrical appliances, the best thing you can do is stop using them until they are fixed. Calling an electrician for help as soon as you notice an issue is the best way to ensure that no serious issues occur. If you continue using a faulty or damaged appliance, you may cause an injury to yourself, or damage to your home. An electrician can help with any issue and ensure the appliance is restored to proper, working condition, regardless of what’s wrong.