There’s no question that the technology related to electrical safety in your home has come quite far in recent years. However, if you want to prevent issues or accidents, including electrical fires, you have to do your part. This means that you make sure that the electrical infrastructure in your home is safe and properly maintained and that you make smart decisions when using things such as heat producing appliances and extension cords. Here are a few more tips to help make your home safer.
Begin at the Source
When dealing with electrical fire safety, your outlets are, by far, the most important components in the entire home. Because you are interacting with them often, they may become worn, loose or damaged over time. Because this is the point of contact for your electrical devices, sparking is also a real possibility. As a result, you will find that faulty outlets are an extremely common source of electrical fires in a home.
If you have outlets that spark often or appear damaged or loose, then you need to contact an electrician about having them replaced. While doing this, think about ordering a complete audit of the electrical components in your home to figure out if there is any other failing or faulty equipment that may increase the risk of a fire.
If you discover that circuit breakers are tripping often, this may also be an indication of a serious electrical issue and something that poses a fire risk. However, if you have several appliances on the same circuit, especially items that produce heat, such as coffee makers, microwaves and stoves, then you may be overloading the system. Try to spread out the appliances across several circuits or just using one appliance at a time to avoid tripping the breaker.
Get Rid of Excess Cords
Power strips and extension cords need to be used temporarily and sparingly; however, long-term use is often necessary for entertainment centers and at computer stations. All strips and cords – but especially the ones being used long-term – need to be inspected regularly and replaced if defect or damage is noticed. Just like with outlets, you need to avoid overloading your extension cords or power strips.
Use Heat with Caution
Appliances that produce heat are often common fire causers. However, these aren’t always just electrical fires. They can actually ignite any combustible material nearby. As a general rule, you need to make sure that you always keep any combustible material away from sources of heat or electricity.
Remember – Safety First
When it comes to preventing a fire in your home, safety should always be top-of-mind. However, detection is just as important. Make sure that your smoke detectors are kept up and that the batteries are changed regularly.
You can also work with a professional electrician to determine what other potential fire hazards may be in your home. In the long run, this will help you save time, money and prevent the devastating effects of a house electrical fire.