We don’t often think about electricity, but there are some shocking facts about electricity. We’ve all learned how dragging our socks across the carpet and then poking our brother can produce a high-pitched yelp.
And we’ve all wowed the crowd at the birthday party when we rubbed the balloon on our hair and not only did the balloon stick to the wall, our hair stood up. So. Cool.
Most of us don’t care much about electricity until it’s no longer powering out tv or power drill.
We don’t often think about electricity, but there are some shocking facts about electricity. We’ve all learned how dragging our socks across the carpet and then poking our brother can produce a high-pitched yelp. Yeah, it’s good, is electricity. But what if we told you that your body produces more than enough energy to power an entire city? Or that lightning bolts actually have their own gravitational field?
Shocking Facts about Electricity
Well, here are 12 things you didn’t know about electricity:
1) The human brain uses 20 watts of electrical energy per day.
2) A typical light bulb consumes 100 watts of electricity for one hour.
3) Lightning strikes release as much energy in just 10 seconds as would be released by detonating 500 tons of TNT!
4) When you get shocked from touching live wires, electrons jump between atoms inside your finger causing pain.
5) It’s not always safe to touch metal objects like train tracks or fences while standing next to electric lines due to the risk of being electrocuted.
6) In the 1800s, people used candles made out of tallow because they produced less heat than coal which was commonly used at the time.
7 ) You’re probably thinking “what does this even mean?” If so, consider yourself lucky – only around 0.1% of Americans fully understand what capacitors do.
8) There are over 300 different types of batteries with distinct properties such as voltage, capacity, charge rate, etc.
9) An average person exhales 40 pounds worth of carbon dioxide every year. That’s equal to burning approximately 30 gallons of gasoline.
10) Your heart generates enough energy to run a flashlight when beating at rest.
11) Most household appliances use very little energy compared to lighting, heating, cooling, cooking, washing clothes, driving cars, etc.
12) To generate enough energy to lift a car off the ground using a single battery requires a force equivalent to lifting 16 times its weight.
Fun, shocking facts about electricity. The truth about electricity runs deep. Actually, the truth about electricity is we need it and we need it to be safe.
Another fact about electricity is that people are injured every year and cause damage to their homes trying to fix a small electrical issue.
Contact Fusion Electric
There are no small electrical issues. Only serious ones. When you need electrical repair, call us here at Fusion Electric for all your electrical needs. Schedule a service or consultation today.