There are going to be some very obvious signs your wiring is seriously outdated. Some of the signs are not. These can be potentially dangerous, starting fires, causing shocks, or even electrocution.
If your home is older, there is a good chance your wiring isn’t even able to cope with all the newer gadgets and appliances. If you are wanting to move to smart functions, then you need to upgrade your wiring.
8 Signs Your Wiring is Seriously Outdated
If your wiring is seriously outdated, you should already know, but just in case, here are a few signs to watch for.
• Tripping Breakers
If your breakers are constantly tripping, then you need to upgrade. The breakers are a safety measure to prevent the system from getting overloaded. If you are trying to find creative ways to plug in an appliance without tripping a breaker, then it’s time for an upgrade.
• Hot Outlet or Light Switch Covers
If you can feel the heat from the covering of your wall outlets or light switches, then that is a sign your wiring is seriously outdated. Don’t remove the cover, just call your electrician to come and check them out.
• Scorch Marks
If there are scorch marks or soot on the cover of your outlets, that is a bad sign. Safely unplug anything in the outlet and stop using it until it has been inspected. This can lead to shock or even a fire.
• Odd Smells
If you notice an odor that smells like something burning but you can see anything, that is another sign your wiring is seriously outdated. If you are not clear where the odor is coming from, call in an electrician right away.
When your lights don’t respond immediately or flicker on and off, or even go dim, then you need to have your electrical system inspected. You can check that it isn’t a faulty bulb, but if it continues, there is a problem. This can be caused by many issues, so it’s best to have it inspected.
• Strange Noises
Any type of fizzing, cracking, popping, buzzing, or anything that isn’t normal should also be checked out. This is a sign your wiring is seriously outdated. This can also be a fire hazard or lead to other problems.
If you hear a popping or sizzling every time you flick a switch or plug something in, stop using that outlet right away. For safety reasons, call your electrician.
• Need Outlet Adapters
If you are in need of an adapter to accommodate a three-prong plug, then you need an upgrade. There is a good chance that the wiring simply can’t handle the need of your appliances and gadgets.
Older homes were not designed to cope with the electrical needs of today. Smart appliances, the need to recharge several devices all at the same time and still have a functioning home are considered standard now.
• No GFCIs
Any outlets that may come in contact with moisture need to have GFCIs. This is to protect you and your family against shock and electrocution. These are sensors that can detect how much electricity is flowing out.
Signs Your Wiring is Seriously Outdated
If you are experiencing issues that have you concerned or you feel your electrical system is just up to today’s standards, book an inspection with us here at Fusion Electric.
Your electrical system is complex and shouldn’t ever be a DIY project. Trust the professionals to make sure everything is working as it should be, is up to date, and meets all the codes.