When considering household electrical issues, homeowners often think of lights being too dim or bright or storm surges. However, the most serious electrical issues may come from the smallest electrical components in the home – like a sparking outlet.
Getting to know some of the causes and the risks of a sparking electrical outlet can help you determine what needs to be done to fix it and why you shouldn’t ignore the problem.
Potential Causes of a Sparking Outlet
The most common reason an outlet sparks is due to a build-up of heat.
People often believe that if they use a power bar, it means they can plug in as many devices as they want. However, outlets are designed to draw a specific amount of electricity. If you have too many appliances plugged in, then the outlet is going to demand an excessive amount of electricity and wind up melting the components.
Why is a Sparking Outlet Dangerous?
Everyone knows that doing anything with electricity can be risky; however, an outlet that’s sparking can be an even bigger danger if the issue isn’t fixed. If your outlets continue to spark, then it may lose control of the electrical output, overload devices, and result in expensive repairs.
The main issue related to a sparking outlet, though, is the potential of a fire. In fact, about 63 percent of all house fires are the result of wiring or electrical issues. This means that a sparking outlet is going to put your entire family at risk.
Tips for Repairing a Sparking Outlet
The electrical system in your home is delicate and it’s easy for an untrained person to cause severe damage when attempting to handle repairs. If you are having problems with a sparking outlet, and you are concerned about a fire, then it is a good idea to contact a trusted and trained electrician to handle the problem.
However, there are a number of things that homeowners can do to prepare for a visit from an electrician. Go to the electrical panel to turn off the power to the room where the issue is. This will ensure the possibility of a fire is eliminated before an electrician has an opportunity to fix the problem. It’s also important for homeowners to identify the voltage in their outlets to purchase the right parts for replacement.
Call the Professionals for Assistance
When it comes to a sparking outlet, there are more than a few factors that need to be considered. While the problem should not be ignored, it is a good idea to avoid DIY repairs – especially for those who have no prior experience working with electricity.
In these situations, it’s best to contact the professionals. An electrician can provide the diagnosis services needed and ensure the problem is fixed and that no other issues arise. They can also eliminate the possibility of a fire or electrical shock, which are some of the main issues that may arise when it comes to electrical problems.