Fall is a time to hunker down, settle in, and throw a kettle on with some movies. It’s almost like a pre-hibernation before Winter. It’s cold, but not too cold, it’s that happy time that comes around just before we find ourselves struggling with snow shovels and vehemently cursing the weather. Here are some electrical safety tips to help you stay safe and sound this fall.
Always Unplug Your Holiday Lights When Leaving the House or Going to Bed
One of the leading causes of house fires in the Fall are holiday lights that were left on while the owner was either asleep or away from the home. We all love the warm glow of holiday lights, whether they’re Autumnal strands of orange lights or the light of a plastic ghost, it’s part of the magic of the season.
It’s important to remember that lights can be somewhat unpredictable when left plugged in, especially old lights. Another factor that can put you at risk is living in an older home. Vintage homes are notorious for having dangerously outdated wiring which leads us to our next electrical safety tip.
Have Your Wiring Checked
Every homeowner should make an effort to have their wiring checked once every year or so. Fall is a sensible time to have it done before there are even more lights over Christmas when bad wiring can really get you into trouble.
Even if your home isn’t that old, it’s still a good idea to have your wiring checked out. Depending on the power-load that you’re putting on your breaker box with all of those lights and extension cords, your panel might have to be upgraded to keep up. Your friends at Fusion Electric of Overland Park can help recommend any upgrades or preventative maintenance that should be done. Preventative maintenance can save you a lot of money, it can also save your life. If the wiring in your home was installed incorrectly, it increases the probability of an electrical fire starting in your home.
Upgrade Your Appliances
Outdated appliances present another electrical safety issue that should be addressed this fall. Your wiring might be in fine condition, but an old appliance can still start a fire. Usually, it’s the cord, receptacle, or switch that is at fault. Sometimes you can have the individual parts replaced by an electrician instead of replacing the entire unit.
Check All of Your Extension Cords for Damage
Most folks tend to use a lot of extension cords in the Fall whether it’s for lights or to run tools outside to do yard work. Extension cords can become frayed or damaged over time, and when the interior of the cord is exposed, it becomes hazardous. Always check your extension cords for fraying before using them.
Have a Safe Fall with Fusion Electric
Fusion Electric of Kansas City has your back this fall and every season of the year. Our name is trusted by the people of Overland Park and we honor that trust with competitive pricing and exceptional service.
Worried about your wiring or an old appliance in your home? Give Fusion Electric a call, we’ll fix it all!