Rodents are one of the most undesirable and obnoxious types of pests that can plague your home. Not only do they leave unsightly droppings everywhere and unwelcome corpses around the house as they eventually die off, but they can also chew through your electrical wires and cause some potentially expensive problems. Here’s what you should know about how rodents ruin electrical wires and how to prevent it from happening.
Why Rodents Want to Destroy Your Electrical Wiring
It might seem strange that common rodents like mice are so determined to gnaw through electrical wiring throughout your home. Oddly enough, it’s not for the flavor!
Mice chew through wiring for two reasons. Firstly, mice need to chew on things to keep their teeth in check. A mouse’s teeth will keep growing continuously and they seek things to chew on to keep them filed down. Secondly, mice are expert excavators and view electrical wiring as an obstacle that’s in their way. Mice chew through wiring to get to their destinations without regard to how much damage it causes to homeowners or how inconvenient it might be for them.
Clean House, Literally
Keeping a clean house is key to preventing rodents from getting into your home and devouring your wiring. Always keep a lid on your garbage canisters. Your kitchen counter should be kept clean and free of crumbs. Your floors should also be kept clean and free of any
bits of food that could attract rodents.
Batten Down the Hatches
To keep rodents out of your home you’re going to have to batten down the hatches and seal any gaps or openings rodents can use to gain entry. It’s common to find gaps in attics and along the outer walls of residential structures. Once you shore these up, you’ll find that you’ll have fewer rodent problems.
Keep Branches and Shrubbery Clipped Back Away From Your Roof
If there’s a way into your house, a rodent will find it and take advantage of it. Mice commonly enter homes by climbing across tree branches or shrubbery and jumping onto the roof. It’s important to keep branches and shrubbery clipped back so that they are not close enough to the house for a mouse or rodent to exploit to access your roof and enter the home.
Have Your Electrical Wiring Protected By your Friends at Fusion Electric
While there are many things that you can do as a homeowner to keep mice out of your house and discourage an infestation, the experts at Fusion Electric can do you one better. We know how to protect electrical wiring from mice.
Our technicians can seal your wiring in protective coatings and materials including concrete or plastic. If you have any electrical wiring in your home that is fully exposed we can install covers to keep the wiring protected and inaccessible by obnoxious rodents.
How Serious Is it if a Rodent Damages Your Electrical Wiring?
If you’re wondering if all of the precautions to keep rodents out of your home just to protect some wires is worth the trouble, consider this. While it’s true that some of the damage rodents cause by chewing on wiring can be nominal such as a blown breaker, or some circuit damage, more serious problems can occur.
Rodents chewing through electrical wiring can cause a power outage or most concerning of all, an electrical fire.
Keep Your Wiring Safe From Rodents with Fusion Electric
When you suspect that rodents have damaged your electrical wiring or if you just want to be proactive about it, call Fusion Electric. The people of Kansas City trust us to keep their wiring in good condition and we never disappoint.
Don’t leave your wiring exposed to hostile rodents, call Fusion Electric and get the best defense against obnoxious pests!