Most Common Causes of Electrical Fires in Kansas City

electrical fires kansas city

Table of Contents

Electrical fires are extremely dangerous, they can demolish your home, destroying everything that you’ve worked so hard to build. They can also take your life and wipe out your entire family overnight. Kansas City is a fun and exciting place to live, however, there is always the danger of an electrical fire. Here’s an overview of the most common causes of electrical fires in the Kansas City area.

Old Outlets and Bad Wiring

Kansas City was founded in 1880 which means that there are still a lot of old homes around town. Old homes are generally known to have a lot of charm, but that charm can cause harm if the home has old electrical outlets and antiquated wiring.

Both bad wiring and old outlets can easily cause an electrical fire. If you’re attached to your vintage Kansas City home, all you need to do is call a qualified electrical service like Fusion Electric to come out and make some updates. Updating the wiring on an older home and replacing the electrical outlets is not particularly invasive so the vintage charm will still be intact.

For those of you who don’t have enough electrical outlets in your home, you should know that extension cords are not the solution! Some homes don’t have old electrical outlets, they just don’t have enough outlets to suit the needs of the modern homeowner. Many people have accidentally started electrical fires by using extension cords to make up for the lack of electrical outlets in their homes. Powering appliances and other items with extension cords inside the home is extremely dangerous and is a sure way to start an electrical fire at some point.

Many older homes don’t have the number of electrical outlets that modern people are accustomed to. If your home doesn’t have enough electrical outlets don’t start using extension cords as extra outlets, call Fusion Electric instead, we can install all of the additional outlets you want!

Dangerously Outdated Appliances

The residents of Kansas City are a thrifty lot, and there’s nothing wrong with being thrifty in and of itself unless it means that you’ve been holding on to a lot of old, outdated appliances. Of course, no one wants to have to buy a new stove, washer, and dryer every few years, but then again most people don’t want to see their whole house go down in flames from an electrical fire either.

Old appliances are one of the leading causes of electrical fires. These fires can easily be prevented simply by keeping your appliances reasonably up to date. While you don’t have to run out to buy a new stove every 2 years, if you still have a stove from 1988, you might want to have it replaced before it’s too late.

Space Heaters

Space heaters are one of the absolute worst things to have inside your home. Kansas City weather can be temperamental and the winters can get rather chilly, but that doesn’t mean that it’s worth the risk of using a space heater to keep yourself warm. Space heaters are notorious for causing electrical fires. One tiny box can take down your entire home.

Keep your KC Home Safe and Copacetic with Fusion Electric

Fusion Electric has a sterling reputation for serving the people of Kansas City and fulfilling their electrical needs at a competitive rate. Worried about the possibility of having an electrical fire in your home? Get in touch with Fusion Electric and schedule an appointment for an assessment of your home’s electrical system. We can make the appropriate recommendations and perform all of the updates you’ll need to ensure that your home is not at risk of having an electrical fire.

Protect your home from electrical fires with Fusion Electric!

Jeff LeSuer avatar

Jeff LeSuer


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Amet porttitor eget dolor morbi semper duis tellus at urna condimentum mattis.



home safety inspection

*Applies to labor only. Must mention coupon at time of service. All repairs and installations require a trip charge of $85. Not valid with other offers.


off any residential service or repair

*Applies to labor only. Must mention coupon at time of service. All repairs and installations require a trip charge of $85. Not valid with other offers.


off panel upgrades

*Applies to labor only. Must mention coupon at time of service. All repairs and installations require a trip charge of $85. Not valid with other offers.

Get Fast, Affordable Electrical
Repair With The Service You Deserve

Same-day Service Available