In recent years, the Edison bulb, also known as a filament bulb, has made a major comeback. They come in many different shapes, sizes and looks, but they are all known for adding a charming glow and an unforgettable ambiance to any setting. This retro bulb is all the rage in restaurants and homes across the country, and is now available to purchase in almost any hardware store.
Today we’re sharing some bright ideas on how Edison bulbs can be used in your home, as well as dishing out some facts you need to consider before buying them.
Create an Outdoor Oasis
Edison bulbs are the perfect touch to transform your outdoor area for the upcoming patio season.
Hang them from the trees, or even drape them through a pergola for an added sparkle.
There are so many different ways to use them outdoors, but there are a few things to remember when it comes to purchasing and installing.
- When purchasing outdoor bulbs, make sure they are in fact, made for the outdoors.
- Save where you can. Set a timer on outdoor lights to ensure you aren’t wasting energy where it can be saved.
Install an outdoor outlet. Don’t fuss with long extension cords that can be dangerous and inefficient.(Leave it to the professionals. Fusion Electric can help with all of your outdoor lighting needs and make sure the job is done right. Check out all we have to offer for your outdoor space.)
Related Read: How to Prep Outdoor Electrical Outlets for Patio Season
Bring the Charm Indoors
Looking to bring the charm inside? Edison bulbs make great accent lights for anywhere in your home. Although string lights are most popular for Edison bulbs, there are plenty of beautiful fixtures and sconces featuring these rustic bulbs that are great for kitchens or bathrooms. Before you choose the perfect lighting for your home, consider these tips.
- Remember your lighting goals. Consider what needs accenting in each space and choose your lighting accordingly. A funky fixture in a dining room can change the whole space for the better.
- Make it pop! Try adding a fun fixture, such as one with Edison bulbs, to make a statement in your home. This is a great way to give a room a new look without a complete redesign.
- Add a dimmer. A dimmer is a great addition to any light fixture. This way, you can change up the mood of the room anytime you’d like.
Related Read: 4 Ways to Make Your Outdoor Kansas City Space Amazing After Dark
Facts to Consider
Although Edison bulbs are the latest craze, there are a few things to consider before adding them to your home.
Edison bulbs are considered an incandescent light, which are known for being notoriously inefficient when it comes to energy. Incandescent bulbs are widely used across the country, but because of their inefficiency, the US government is trying to phase them out. Many are in favor of transitioning to compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) because they are much more energy- and cost-efficient.
Don’t worry, you’ve got options! For those who want a compromise, there are LED versions of the Edison bulb that are much more energy efficient. Another great alternative to the Edison bulb is the Plumen bulb. This bulb still has the rustic, exposed coils like the Edison bulb, but is much more up to speed on energy efficiency.