If you have suddenly lost electricity in just part of your home, chances are your first thought will be to take a trip to the circuit breaker box. If there’s a loose switch, it means a breaker has tripped. In most cases, this can be reset by clicking it completely to the off position and then move it back to the on position.
As long as you have unplugged whatever caused an overload in the circuit, you should be able to restore the electricity. However, if you encounter a circuit that doesn’t reset, it requires a deeper and more thorough investigation of what’s going on. In some cases, the problem may be more serious and require extensive and expensive electrical repairs.
Common Sources of Electrical System Damage
There are several common issues that may result in a circuit that won’t reset:
- Rodent damage to the wiring
- An open ground
- Failing light fixtures
- Bad outlets or switch connections
- An appliance that overheats
You should check all the electrical connections on the circuit to find the problem using the process of elimination. After you figure out what appliances, light fixtures, switches, and outlets are on the problem circuit, be sure to shut down and unplug all things that are attached to it. Put the breaker in the on position and check each of the connections, one at a time. The fixture, appliance, or outlet that trips your circuit is the problem.
Contact an Electrician for Assistance
After you have located the offending appliance, fixture, or other electrical components, you may still need help finding the exact issue. A professional, licensed electrician can examine all of your electrical connections. They will arrive at your location with all the needed tools to detect any open or degraded connections. This is going to let the electrician know exactly where repairs need to be made.
The Breaker Could be Broken
If you are unable to find faulty appliances or switches, it means the circuit breaker could have failed. In this situation, you will have to have it replaced. The professionals usually warn against the do-it-yourself electrical repairs. Even if a job seems quite simple, it can still be dangerous. When electricity is involved, the risk of shock is real. This is why it is so important to call the professionals to handle the job.
Don’t underestimate the benefits offered by hiring the pros, as this will pay off in the long run. Contact Fusion Electric today!